Workshops now available
Artisan Pork Pies - Full Day £70
- Sat. 16th Jan.
- Sat. 20th Feb.
- Other dates to be confirmed.
- Bookings for 3 or more people - dates can be arranged on request.
About the course
The superb taste and quality of Bean Hill Farm pork pies are entirely due to the quality of the ingredients that go into them. Sally uses either her own rare breed pork (when available) or locally sourced quality meat. She cures her own bacon adding herbs and other ingredients to make the pies extra special and has a tip which will give you perfect pastry every time. This is a full day course which will run from 10:00 am until 3:30-4:00 pm depending on the group. Whilst the pies are baking you will be taught how to make a pickle or a chutney to complement your pies.
What will I make?
- You will make your own traditional hot crust pastry.
- You will mince and hand chop your own ingredients, Sally will give you tips and advice on buying your own meat and what you should ask your butcher to do for you.
- You will have a choice of making up to 6 individual pork pies (depending on which size you choose), a variety of tins will be available. You will also have the option of customising some of your pies with additional ingredients.
- You will learn some basic hygene theory regarding raw and cooked meat, and how to avoid contamination and also safe temperatures required for cooking and re-heating.
- You will learn how to make a pickle or chutney to complement your pies.
Where will the course be held?
Most of the preparation and making will be done in the farmhouse kitchen. Sally also has a fully equipped clean room where she is able to butcher and prepare the meat.
Who is it suitable for?
Anyone who would like to learn how to make their own delicious pork pies.
How long is the course?
We will start at 10:00 am and run until we finish at approximately 3:30 - 4:00 pm
Lunch will be provided, please let us know in advance if you have any special dietary requirements.
Maximum 5 persons, this ensures the best experience for each participant.
What is included?
- Tuition by Sally Hodkinson, Butcher and Baker, graduated 2012 from The School of Artisan Food, Full Time Diploma.
- All specialist equipment and ingredients used on the day.
- Course recipies and instruction sheets.
- Home made lunch.
- Refreshments and homemade cake or biscuits during the day.
- Your own pork pies and a jar of chutney.